Did you know that the Quebec government has been offering a financial assistance program for parents since September 2019 to help them purchase glasses and contact lenses for their children? In addition to eye exam coverage for children under the age of 18, the new See Better to Succeed program from the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) offers a $250 refund on eyeglasses or contact lenses.
Eligibility criteria for the RAMQ’s eyeglasses or contact lens reimbursement program
- Be under 18 years old on the date of purchase of glasses or contact lenses
- Have a valid Health Insurance Card
- Have received a prescription for corrective eyeglasses or contact lenses issued by an authorized optometrist or ophthalmologist. As a reminder: the eye exam is also covered by RAMQ for those under 18 years old.
- No request was submitted in the last 2 years.
How to obtain the reimbursement for the See Better to Succeed program
1- Make an appointment with an optometrist or ophthalmologist for an eye exam.
Glasses or contact lenses must be prescribed by an eye care professional. If your child has had an eye exam within the last year, this prescription remains valid when you visit a store. The recommended frequency of an eye exam for a child under 18 is annually.
2- Choose a frame and determine the treatment options that are recommended for your child’s lenses.
To help you save even more, you’ll find our Kids Packages in all our New Look stores. These packages offer frames and antireflective lenses starting at $199 and are valid for children that are 17 years old and under. If your child prefers to wear contact lenses, your optometrist or dispensing optician can also help you choose the type of lenses that is best for him or her.
3- Proceed with the purchase and pay the amount due for your child’s glasses or contact lenses.
The RAMQ refund will be a fixed amount of $250, regardless of the total amount of your purchase whether it is more or less.
4- Make your claim by filling out the online RAMQ form.
You will then receive a check for $250 by mail within 3 weeks from the date of the claim.
The application must be submitted within 12 months following the purchase in order to be accepted. A receipt for glasses or contact lenses and proof of prescription is not required. However, you must keep these documents on file for five years, as they may be requested for verification purposes. After that, you must wait two years to apply again.
To fill out the online form, the following information will be requested:
- Health Insurance Number or Social Insurance Number of the child
- Health Insurance Number or Social Insurance Number of the applicant
- Postal code of the applicant
- Type of purchase (eyeglasses or contact lenses)
- Cost of purchase
- Date of purchase
- Quebec Sales Tax (QST) number. If this number does not appear on your invoice, you will need to obtain it from the optician or optometrist from whom you made your purchase.
- Only purchases made from a Quebec merchant as of September 1, 2019, are eligible.
- However, the eye exam may have been performed before that date.
- Purchases may have been made either online or in-store.
- Glasses and contact lenses purchased outside of Quebec are not refunded.
- Glasses and contact lenses purchased without a prescription are not refunded.
The purpose of this Quebec government reimbursement program is to lighten the financial burden on parents and, above all, to promote the success of children by giving them the benefit of a clear vision. Taking care of your children's eye health shouldn't be complicated. We know that your children are the apple of your eyes and rest assured that we will take great care of their vision.