Government Refund of $250 for 17 and under
Your child or teen receives a government reimbursement of $250 on their new glasses or contact lenses.
The financial assistance program, See Better to Succeed, offers a reimbursement of $250 following the purchase of eyeglasses or contact lenses for any child under the age of 18.
This amount is fixed: it does not vary with the cost of your purchase. Only purchases made as of September 1, 2019 from a merchant in Québec are eligible. The reimbursement is granted only for the purchase of eyeglasses or contact lenses prescribed by a professional for vision correction.
Special features of the program :
- The reimbursement will be made by the RAMQ, through a new online service.
- To be eligible, purchases must be made from a merchant in Québec
- You must submit your application within 12 months following the date of purchase.
- Applications for reimbursement may be made every two years, that is, a child for whom a reimbursement is received under the program must wait 2 years from the date of that qualifying purchase before being eligible again. For example, if you obtained a reimbursement for eyeglasses purchased on October 1, 2019, the next eligible purchase may be made as of October 1, 2021.
All children are eligible for the program if they meet the following conditions :
- be under the age of 18 on the date of purchase of eyeglasses or contact lenses ;
- be insured by Québec health insurance ;
- have received a prescription for corrective eyeglasses or contact lenses during an eye examination Note: the eye examination is covered by health insurance for children under the age of 18.
Eyeglasses and contact lenses that are not covered :
- Eyeglasses and contact lenses purchased outside Québec ;
- Eyeglasses and contact lenses purchased without a prescription ;
- Eyeglasses and contact lenses without correction, including sunglasses;
- Eyeglasses designed for taking part in sport or recreational activities (e.g. swimming, skiing) ;
- Blue light blocking eyeglasses for use with digital devices